Crowd honors health-care facilities during Leadership Council’s Annual Salute to Southwestern Illinois
From Illinois Business Journal news services
FAIRVIEW HEIGHTS — Hospital and health-care achievements were honored Thursday night during the 2016 Salute to Southwestern Illinois Awards Dinner held by The Leadership Council Southwestern Illinois.
Leaders of facilities in Southwestern Illinois and their volunteer auxiliary groups were among an estimated 400 people from business, industry, government, education and labor who attended the event held at the FourPoints by Sheraton in Fairview Heights.
The Leadership Council paid tribute to the health-care facilities in Southwestern Illinois for their collective impact on workforce expansion, economic impact and exceptional growth over the past decade.
The annual awards program salutes individuals and organizations that have displayed outstanding leadership and have positively impacted the region. This year, the event recognized the following as co-recipients of the 2016 Salute to Southwestern Illinois Award:
• Alton Memorial Hospital, Brad Goacher, vice president of administration
• Anderson Hospital, Maryville, President and CEO Keith Page
• Gateway Regional Medical Center, Granite City, CEO Ed Cunningham
• Memorial Hospital Belleville and Memorial Hospital East, President and CEO Mark J. Turner
• OSF Saint Anthony’s Health Center, Alton President and CEO Ajay Pathak
• HSHS St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, President and CEO Peg. A. Sebastian
• HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital – Highland, interim President and CEO Elizabeth Govero
• Touchette Regional Hospital, Centreville, President and CEO Larry McCulley
Guest speakers — all from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville — talked about health-care/community collaboration in their respective divisions. They were Dr. Bruce Rotter, dean of the School of Dental Medicine; Dr. Laura Bernaix, dean of the School of Nursing; and Dr. Gireesh Gupchup, dean of the School of Pharmacy.
Dennis Wilmsmeyer, head of America’s Central Port, was honored for his work during 2015 as chairman of the board of Leadership Council. His successor is Mike Riley, who has been president of the organization and who is president of Professional Therapy Services Inc.
Mark Turner, of Memorial Hospital, takes over as president of the organization for the 2016 year.
Keith Cook, market president-Metro East, for Regions Bank, takes over as vice president; Dale Stewart, secretary/treasurer of the Southwestern Illinois Building and Construction Trades Council is secretary; Don Vitchitvongsa, general manager of SunCoke Energy, is treasurer.