International Trade Center at SIUE plans seminar on exporting
From Illinois Business Journal news services
EDWARDSVILLE — The Illinois SBDC International Trade Center at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is holding a seminar, “How to Make Exporting Easier and Profitable: Export Documentation and Payment Methods” Seminar on Thursday, March 10.
Discussion will aid in understanding of what is involved in selling and transporting goods to foreign buyers — from negotiating terms of sale and payment to the delivery of goods to their final destination, including the proper preparation of all export documents.
Speaker is Paul Jarzombek, chief operating officer, LR International, Inc. Chicago. For more than 17 years LR International has partnered with the ITC at SIUE in providing counseling for exporters in Southern Illinois. LR was recognized for its efforts in promoting international trade by being appointed to the Illinois District Export Council. Consulting services include training in all phases of exporting, either through private in-house corporate training sessions, or through public seminars, and trainers are some of the most sought-after speakers in the industry.
The seminar will focus on
– Export documentation. This seminar is designed to provide a complete review of all commercial, legal and transport documents that you will need to conclude your export sale successfully and avoid serious administrative, civil or even criminal penalties. It will include:
• Overview of the export process
• Export documentation
• Role of banks, freight forwarders and customs brokers
• Risk management, insurance and carrier liability
– INCOTERMS (International Commercial Terms) and payment methods: Understand the risks in international trade and how best to apply INCOTERMS to real-life situations. Also, learn the advantages, risks and motivations of buyers and sellers in negotiating a particular method of payment.
• International Trade Terms
• International Payment Methods
• Risk Alleviation
• The Letter of Credit Transaction
The seminar will take place from 8:30 a.m. to noon (with an 8 a.m. registration and continental breakfast) at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Morris Center-International Room (second level) Cost is $50 (includes breakfast, parking and materials)
The seminar is designed for:
• Exporters and professionals involved in sales, marketing, administration, customer service, traffic, logistics, and documentation
• Accounting and credit professionals doing international business
• Manufacturers shipping to foreign markets or looking to expand abroad
• Any personnel new to exporting
Reservations are required by March 7. Contact International-Trade-Center@siue.edu or go to www.siue.edu/business/itc . Questions may be directed to ITC at (618) 650-3851, (618) 650-2452.