More trails are on the way and funding is still available
On Aug. 8, 2023, the Metro East Park and Recreation District (MEPRD) approved five trail grants, while also announcing that $1.5 million in grant funding remains available for regional trail developments and select park projects.
Trail projects awarded:
- Madison County Transit for a bike/ped bridge over Rt. 111 along the Schoolhouse Trail.
- St. Clair County Transit District for a .75-mile trail from St. Clair Rd. to Union Hill Rd.
- Village of Bethalto for a .57-mile trail from Bethalto St. to Ashbrook St.
- Village of Glen Carbon for a .3-mile trail from Lakeshore Dr. to Mark Trail Rd.
- City of Mascoutah for a .3-mile trail from the existing Berm Trail to Onyx Drive.
In addition to the trail grants listed above, MEPRD also approved the following park improvement grants:
- St. Clair Township for improvements to Loop Creek Park.
- Village of Swansea for improvements to Schranz Park.
- Sugar Loaf Township for improvements to Township North Park.
- Wood River Township for improvements to Kutter Park.
Learn more about MEPRD’s current funding opportunities here: www.meprd.org/funding