Snow-and-ice removal positions are available across Illinois
The Illinois Department of Transportation has announced it will hold a series of open houses for individuals interested in applying for seasonal positions to help with snow-and-ice removal statewide. Open houses will be held throughout the state to spread the word about the department’s annual “snowbird” program and help facilitate applications.
At each open house, attendees will have a chance to speak with IDOT staff to learn more about the program and obtain assistance in submitting an application, which must be completed online.
A total of 2,536 temporary winter positions are open: District 1 (640), District 2 (266), District 3 (307), District 4 (215), District 5 (235), District 6 (208), District 7 (214), District 8 (284), and District 9 (167). Click here for a map of IDOT’s districts.
Open houses scheduled in Southwestern Illinois are as follows:
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 15, District 8 Headquarters – Regional Conference Room, 1102 Eastport Plaza, Collinsville
- 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 8, District 9 Headquarters – Basement Conference Room, 2801 W. Murphysboro Road, Carbondale
Other open houses scheduled throughout the state are as follows:
District 1: Saturday, Sept. 10, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at four locations
- Oakbrook Maintenance Facility, 17W125 Butterfield Road, Villa Park
- New Lenox Maintenance Facility, 1400 W. Maple St., New Lenox
- Gurnee Maintenance Facility, 3516 W. Washington St., Gurnee
- DOT – District 1 Headquarters, 201 W. Center Court, Schaumburg
- 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 7, Milan Maintenance Facility, 4128 69th Ave., Milan
- 4 to 6 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 8, Rockford Maintenance Facility, 4109 11th St., Rockford
- 4 to 7 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 6, Macomb Maintenance Facility, 2850 E. Jackson St., Macomb
- 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 7, Champaign Team Section, 201 Eisner Road, Champaign
IDOT will also host a WebEx from 5 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 7, to provide instructions on the application process.
Click the following link to join the webinar:
If interested individuals cannot attend one of the open house sessions or have questions about how to apply, they can call or e-mail the agency contact listed in the job posting.
Both Snow Removal Operators and Winter Salaried Highway Maintainers are being hired to help maintain more than 45,000 lane miles statewide during winter. They are required to promptly respond to emerging weather situations for snow-and-ice removal and be ready to work in emergency conditions at any time, including nights, weekends and holidays.
Applications for Winter Salaried Highway Maintainers must be submitted online by Sept. 12. Applications for the Snow Removal Operators will be accepted online throughout the remainder of the calendar year or until all positions are filled. Paper applications cannot be accepted. For job postings throughout the state, visit https://illinois.jobs2web.com.
Applicants must have a commercial driver’s license and submit to a criminal background check. A pre-employment physical and vision test as well as drug and alcohol screening are required. A new law provides for veterans’ preference for these seasonal positions and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Applicants will be selected based on availability, job-related experience and qualifications. For additional information, including positions available and the application process in specific districts, details on pay and potential for benefits, please click here.