The HEALTHIER TOGETHER collective impact movement has received a combined $100,000 from Memorial Hospital Foundation and HSHS St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, founding sponsors of the non-profit dedicated to collaboratively addressing the underlying causes and inequities that impact the health and quality of life for residents of St. Clair County. In addition, Touchette Regional Hospital/SIHF Healthcare recently committed to making a $50,000 donation to assist with this initiative.
HEALTHIER TOGETHER is a non-profit community-based movement and partnership of health and human service agencies working to create opportunities for residents to experience a safer, healthier quality of life in St. Clair County and surrounding areas.
“We are so thankful to Memorial, St. Elizabeth’s and Touchette for their support of community-based projects that improve health and model the way for others,” said Mark Peters, executive director of Healthier Together. Since HEALTHIER TOGETHER began in July 2019, our hospital partners have committed a combined $400,000 in contributions as well as countless hours of volunteer staff time to help local coalitions address the needs of the communities we mutually serve.”
Over the last three years, the HEALTHIER TOGETHER partnership has provided support to coalitions that focus on six areas of need:
- chronic disease prevention;
- community safety;
- maternal and child health;
- mental health; and
- substance use disorders.
Under this collective impact model, large-scale social change requires broad, cross-industry coordination of committed organizations for the good of all. The HEALTHIER TOGETHER partnership strives to create a shared platform for information gathering, service referral, resource mobilization, and education on health initiatives while supporting purposefully coordinated programs and a multi-layered approach to identifying new resources.
In 2021, contributions to the HEALTHIER TOGETHER movement provided relief to over 6,500 residents during the COVID Pandemic through the following activities:
- Provision of internet access support to enable distance learning for families in St. Clair County school districts.
- Expansion of a food voucher partnership with local businesses and schools to provide fresh produce to school-age children and families in the greater Belleville and East St. Louis area.
- Support for mobile food and nutrition education initiatives that helped distribute food and other household supplies to residents through food pantries in Belleville, Cahokia Heights, East St. Louis, Fairmont City and Washington Park.
- Initiation of an intergenerational program for seniors and youth to address social isolation, personal health and wellness, and community safety.
For more information on the HEALTHIER TOGETHER partnership, visit their website at HEALTHIERTOGETHER.NET. or email info@HEALTHIERTOGETHER.net.