A number of road projects are underway and will affect traffic patterns in coming days in Metro East.
The Illinois Department of Transportation announces that:
– All lanes of Illinois 3 from 0.8 miles north of Monsanto Avenue in Sauget to 0.1 miles south of Ruby Street in Cahokia will be intermittently restricted during daytime hours only on Tuesday, July 14, and Wednesday, July 15, weather permitting. The lane closures are necessary for inspection of the pavement.
– Main Street (Illinois Route 108) will close at the railroad tracks just west of Alton Road in Carlinville on July 12. The closure, which will begin at 8 p.m., is necessary for repairs to the Union Pacific railroad crossing. No traffic will be allowed to cross the tracks during the work, which is expected to be complete by 8 p.m. July 14. A detour will be posted.
– Northbound I-55/70 between Black Lane and Illinois Route 111 will see lane closures beginning on Tuesday, July 14. All lanes will be open between the hours of 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. This work is necessary to do pavement repairs and is expected to be complete by July 20.
– Interstate 270, from Illinois Route 3 to just east of the I-55/70/270 interchange, is now being intermittently restricted to one lane in each direction on Fridays. These lane closures will occur Friday evenings at 7 p.m. through Monday mornings at 6 a.m. and each weeknight between 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. All lanes will be open Monday through Friday between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. This work is necessary to place a new asphalt surface. This work is expected to be complete by mid-September 2020.
– Construction on the U.S. 50 bridges over Walnut Street in Breese will begin Monday, July 13. This work will take place daily between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. One lane traffic in each direction will be maintained using flaggers or temporary traffic signals when lane closures are required. This work is necessary to complete painting of the U.S. 50 structures and is expected to be completed by late September.
– The daytime closure of the inside lane along both northbound and southbound I-55 between Exchange Avenue and Third Street in East St. Louis on Tuesday July 14th and Wednesday, July 15th. The closure will be during non-peak hours and is required to repair a damaged concrete barrier wall. The IDOT East St. Louis Maintenance Yard will make the needed repairs. Full access will be restored as soon as this work is completed.