As Illinois moves through the reopening phases outlined by Gov. Pritzker, various tourism organizations around the state look to attract visitors to safely visit their communities by providing weekly inspiration for road trips.
Recognizing the desire for many to travel safely by car, Market Illinois, a group of marketing professionals from local and regional destination marketing organizations (DMOs), are collaborating to promote all that Illinois has to offer through a weekly blog, “Illinois Road Trip Round Up.”
“As we celebrate ‘All in Illinois’ together, we recognize that we’re stronger when we promote opportunities across the state collectively,” said Stephanie Tate, Marketing Communications Director for the Great Rivers & Routes Tourism Bureau. “Tourism will be an economic driver as we begin phases of re-opening and this collaboration is ideal to spread the word on the unique destinations around Illinois.”
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on tourism in the United States is significant, with spring and summer traditionally bringing substantial business to areas, with sports, conferences, group tours and leisure travel all impacted. Surveys conducted on a national scale show that leisure travel will be the first sector to return, although travelers will be cautious and will look to trips that are close to home.
To entice leisure travelers to Illinois, every Tuesday following Memorial Day to Labor Day, sixteen participating DMOs will share one trip idea from their region on a timely theme, starting with top biking and hiking trails. Recognizing that areas of the state will be in different stages of re-opening, topics will always feature a destination that is currently accessible and safe for public visitation. Future topics may include outdoor picnic spots, top golf courses, farmer’s markets, and more.
“From Rockford to Alton, and the Quad Cities to Champaign, there are numerous activities available to the public for an enjoyable getaway close to home. Whether you’re looking for a new spot for a cool summer treat, or the best place to play golf, all of our communities have something to offer,” Tate says.
Travelers looking for inspiration in Illinois can follow along every Tuesday on the participating DMOs websites and social media channels where each weekly blog will be posted. Destinations featured include:
- Chicago’s North Shore | visitchicagonorthshore.com
- Chicago Southland CVB | visitchicagosouthland.com
- Discover DuPage | discoverdupage.com
- Aurora Area CVB | enjoyaurora.com
- Explore Elgin Area | exploreelginarea.com
- Go Rockford | gorockford.com
- Great Rivers & Routes | riversandroutes.com
- Heritage Corridor | heritagecorridorcvb.com
- Illinois South Tourism | illinoisouth.org
- Meet Chicago Northwest | chicagonorthwest.com
- Visit Champaign County | visitchampaigncounty.org
- Visit Effingham | visiteffinghamil.com
- Visit McHenry County | visitmchenrycounty.com
- Visit Quad Cities | visitquadcities.com
- Visit SI | visitsi.com
- Visit Springfield | visitspringfieldillinois.com
For more information on travel opportunities in Illinois, visit enjoyillinois.com.