Skip to content

What to do if a stimulus check comes to a dead person

The Treasury Department say stimulus checks made in error should be returned to the Internal Revenue Service.

The following information was passed along by Edwardsville-based Scheffel Boyle CPAs.

In newly released guidance, the IRS confirmed this week that some economic impact payments were sent by mistake to nonresident aliens, incarcerated people, and deceased taxpayers. It’s now asking those recipients, or their family members, to return the money.

In addition, a change in filing status between years could cause an error in stimulus payments received, but no official guidance on repayment has been issued.

You should return the economic income payment as described below:

If the payment was a paper check:
Write “Void” in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
Mail the voided Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
Don’t staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
Include a note stating the reason for returning the check.

If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit:
Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number,  or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.
Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.

Leave a Comment