EDWARDSVILLE — Madison County and Ameren Illinois will soon be giving away air conditioners to qualified low-income households.
Madison County Community Development is partnering with Ameren to provide energy efficient window air-conditioning units to eligible households at or below 125 percent of the federal poverty level guidelines. The county will start taking appointments at 8:30 a.m. Monday.
For an appointment to apply for an air-conditioner call (618) 296-6485. Households that received air conditioners during the past three years are not eligible.
Guidelines for qualification:
• Each household member must provide gross income documentation for the entire household/family income the past 90 days. Everyone 18 years or older my provide income documentation.
• Applicant must present a picture ID.
• Family must reside in Madison County.
• Each household/individuals must complete an intake form.
• Must provide Social Security cards for each household member
• Be 60 years or older or suffer from a medical condition that can be relieved by air conditioning. Any person younger than 60 must provide a letter from the applicant’s physician containing a specific ailment a household member suffers from or have children under the age of 5 regardless of an existing medical condition. Medical conditions may include COPD, emphysema, coronary disease or immediate terminal illness.
• Each household must provide a current copy of their utility bill to prove they have utilities and are not delinquent or disconnection notice. Utility must be less than $500.
• Household must fall under the following income guidelines:
A qualified household will only receive one air-conditioning unit. Applicants will be required to show a photo ID with they pick up their AC unit and only the person who applied will be allow to pick up the unit.
Staff will present a release/waiver/indemnifying agreement to those who pick up an air conditioner and it be signed for tracking purposes. Staff from Community Services Block Grant, the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program and Weatherization administer the program.