Scores of bicyclists and thousands of spectators are converging on Edwardsville for the eight annual Bank of Edwardsville Rotary Criterium Festival.
The races will be held Saturday, Aug. 19, sponsored by Rotary Club of Edwardsville, TheBANK of Edwardsville, City of Edwardsville, Edwardsville Township, dozens of local sponsors and hundreds of volunteers.
It has become one of the biggest events annually for the merchants of downtown Edwardsville. The series sanctioned by USA Cycling features:
• Eight high-speed bicycle races
• Four free kids races (age 3 and under, age 4-6, age 7-8, age 9-11)
• Live music featuring: Exit 12, Robert Perry Band with the Original Mojo’s, and Old Salt Union
• Pedal & Paint Art Tent allowing kids to make and take their own bike-related artwork
• An “open containers perimeter” on Main Street
• Helmet fitting and giveaway by Edwardsville Township
• Kaylee’s Lemonade Stand – benefiting the families of first responders
• Downtown Edwardsville’s eating, drinking and shopping options
Events will take place from 3 to 11 p.m. Free parking is available but some streets will be closed as part of the bicycling route.
The event draws cyclists from 11 states and thousands of spectators for a high speed afternoon and evening. Proceeds benefit the Rotary Club of Edwardsville which in turn support community enhancing projects.
For a schedule of event times, how to register for the kids race, an event map, full list of sponsors and more details, visit www.CriteriumEdwardsville.com or find “Edwardsville Rotary Criterium” on Facebook.
The Illinois Business Journal welcomes business, community and government releases of general interest. Send items to Editor Dennis Grubaugh, email@example.com