GRANITE CITY — With employment opportunities growing at distribution centers in the Illinois Route 111 corridor, Madison County Transit will improve service to both Gateway and Lakeview Commerce Centers at its upcoming service change on Feb. 5.
MCT will also make changes to trips on all three MCT Express routes in response to ridership decreases, due in large part to low fuel prices. The changes are:
Illinois 111 Corridor Enhancement
• No. 6 Roxana – Pontoon Beach: Double the frequency on weekdays to every 30 minutes, (60 minute on weekends) creating direct service from Wood River and Roxana to Lakeview Commerce Center. The #6 will not serve Gateway Commerce Center directly, but timed transfers to Gateway are available via the #20 Granite City-Pontoon Beach Shuttle at the Liberty & Chain of Rocks Transfer Point.
• No. 20 Granite City-Pontoon Beach Shuttle: Service to Gateway Commerce Center increased on the weekends to every 60 minutes, (30 minutes on the weekdays). Timed transfers to Lakeview available via the #6 at Liberty & Chain of Rocks.
• The temporary Lakeview Shuttle will be discontinued as the No. 6 will cover its route entirely.
MCT Express Reduction
In addition to the removal of trips as described below, MCT will also re-balance the schedules on these routes.
• No. 1X Riverbend Express: One morning and one afternoon trip will be eliminated. 8 morning and 10 afternoon trips remain.
• No. 14X Highland Express: Two morning and three afternoon trips will be eliminated. 10 morning and 10 afternoon trips remain.
• No. 16X Edwardsville Express: Two morning trips will be eliminated. 7 morning and 9 afternoon remain.
Also effective Feb. 5, minor schedule changes will be made to the No. 1 Riverbend, the No. 6, the No. 12 Bethalto Shuttle, No. 17 Edwardsville-SIUE Shuttle, the No. 19 Edwardsville-Collinsville and the No. 20. Passengers are advised to consult an updated timetable, dated Feb. 5 to verify trip times.
“We are pleased to improve bus service where there is growing demand and create greater access to jobs for our residents,” said MCT Managing Director Jerry Kane.
For more details regarding the service change, visit www.mct.org, call 618-797-INFO (4636) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
— From the Illinois Business Journal