BELLEVILLE — Several area schoolchildren were among those who took honors in this fall’s “Imagine a Day Without Water” art contest sponsored by Illinois American Water Co.
The firm invited third-, fourth- and fifth-grade classrooms within the company’s service area to participate in a contest held in conjunction with the Value of Water Coalition’s annual event to raise water-service awareness.
“It’s hard to imagine even just one day without water. We need water to make our morning coffee, to cook family dinners, to fight fires, for public health and more. Even though water service is essential, the public often takes its value for granted,” said Bruce Hauk, president of Illinois American Water.
The art contest winners earned a $100 donation for their classroom:
– Hayden Meis, fourth grader at St. Mary’s School in Pontiac
– Samora Baldwin, third grader at Cairo Elementary School in Cairo
– Abigail Scales, third grader at Central School in Lincoln
– Sophie Taylor, fourth grader at St. Peters Catholic School in South Beloit
– Zoe C. Higgins, fifth grader at Leal Elementary School in Urbana
– Bailey Punkay, fifth grader at St. John Lutheran School in Champaign
– Max Gorsage, fourth grader at St. Ambrose Catholic School in Godfrey
– Caito Nicholas, fifth grader at East Elementary School in Alton
– Chloe Hyatt, fourth grader at Mascoutah Elementary School in Mascoutah
– Shy Hoffman, fifth grader at Scott Elementary School at Scott Air Force Base
– Madison Cereno, fifth grader, St. Dominic School in Bolingbrook
– Jorge Mejia, fourth grader at Bernard J. Ward Elementary School in Bolingbrook
– Anthony Gullens, fifth grader at Northlawn Junior High School in Streator
– Lexie Dentino, third grader at L.E. Starke Primary School in Pekin
– Jocelyn Schmidt, third grader at St. Vincent de Paul School in Peoria
– Malyse Williams, fifth grader, Von Steuben Middle School in Peoria
The winning artwork can be viewed on Illinois American Water’s Facebook page.
— From the Illinois Business Journal