Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is seeking applications for awards at its annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017.
Applications are being sought for the following award categories: MLK Humanitarian Award for Community Leader and Faculty/Staff.
In part, nominees must demonstrate the following:
• An increased understanding and tolerance for all people
• Embrace the humanitarian principles and ideals of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
• Initiated or developed community programs, services, or activities that have inspired tolerance, understanding and sensitivity for diversity. Only community service unrelated to the nominee’s job duties will be considered.
The awardees will receive recognition at the luncheon celebration.
Nomination entries must be received by 4:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 14. Humanitarian award recipients, both at the university and in the community, will each receive a commemorative plaque.
Other MLK contests include:
• Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Award
• Essay, Poetry and Visual Arts, High School
The SIUE student who wins the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Award will receive free tuition for one semester and a commemorative plaque. The three recipients of the high school contests will each win $100 and a commemorative plaque.
For more information and questions about the nomination process, contact Sarah Laux, Box 1168, SIUE, Edwardsville, IL, 62026-1168, or call (618) 650-2686.
— From the Illinois Business Journal