From Illinois Business Journal news services
SPRINGFIELD – The statute of limitations dealing with potential criminal cases involving untested rape kits has been extended under legislation chief-sponsored in the Senate by an Elgin Democrat and signed by the governor on Tuesday.
Thousands of previously untested rape kits have been under examination since 2010, many of which date back to before 2004. Sen. Michael Noland said the law takes immediate effect and better ensures that victims of the backlog receive justice.
Previously, the 10-year statute of limitations began at the time the incident is reported. The law will now have it take effect at the time the kit is tested, thus allowing those affected by the backlog to still receive due process.
“I am glad to see the governor support this important piece of legislation. While Illinois is working to prevent the backlog of untested rape kits, this landmark law is working to prevent those affected by the past from being denied the justice they deserve in the future,” Noland said
Noland has worked closely with Test 400 K, a group dedicated to eliminating the backlog and Rosa Pickett, a woman whose story prompted the legislature to act.
The measure was introduced as HB 369 by Rep. Deborah Conroy, D-Villa Park.