GRANITE CITY — Madison County Transit will implement enhancements to its fixed-route bus system that it says will significantly improve access to employment, shopping centers, medical facilities and other destinations in the evenings and on Sundays throughout Madison County.
Highlights of the changes, which take effect Sunday, Jan. 11, include the following:
- Later weekday service in Alton, Wood River, Granite City, Madison, Edwardsville and Roxana
- New Sunday service in the Alton, Collinsville, Edwardsville, Granite City, Roxana and Wood River areas
- Later weekend service in Alton, Wood River and Granite City on Saturdays and Sundays
- Minor route and schedule adjustments in Edwardsville, Glen Carbon and Collinsville
- Two new No. 1X Riverbend Express timepoints in Granite City and Godfrey
- Designated bus stops implemented on all MCT fixed-routes
“Demand for service and improved access to jobs are the primary motivators behind these service enhancements,” said MCT Managing Director Jerry Kane. “At our last round of public meetings, passengers told us that they could not work certain shifts or even take a particular job because they didn’t have transportation to get there.”
Details of the changes, including routes and schedules, can be found online at www.mct.org. For more information about MCT services call 618-797-INFO (4636) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Madison County Transit provides multi-modal transportation services for Madison County, Illinois. MCT operates a fixed-route bus service, connecting to MetroLink; express weekday commuter service directly to and from downtown St. Louis; and seasonal express service to the Rams games and the Muny. For elderly and disabled residents who are unable to use the fixed-route buses, MCT provides complementary door-to-door service. MCT is also responsible for the construction and maintenance of more than 100 miles of bikeways that comprise the MCT Trails system, as well as overseeing RideFinders, the St. Louis region’s free carpooling and vanpooling program.