Madison County Transit is planning ahead to avoid problems that will come with the planned month-long closure of the Illinois Route 111/Chain of Rocks Road intersection in Pontoon Beach.
Starting Tuesday, Tuesday, Sept. 2, MCT will make temporary changes to three of its fixed-routes: the No. 4 Madison-Edwardsville, No. 5 Tri-City Regional and No. 6 Roxana-South Roxana Shuttle.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, a related project at the intersection is expected to take four weeks to complete. The location is significant because of its proximity to both MCT’s headquarters in Mitchell and the nearby Gateway Commerce Center.
During the timeframe, MCT will also operate a temporary shuttle called the “No. 4 Connector” on Chain of Rocks Road in Mitchell.
The changes are summarized below:
No. 4 Madison – Edwardsville:
• The No. 4 will bypass Chain of Rocks Road in both the northbound and southbound directions between SWIC and Illinois Routge 157. At 157 the No. 4 will serve the stop at Traveling Tails Inn.
• The No. 4 wil lnot serve the Liberty and Chain of Rocks Transfer Point or the following stops on Chain of Rocks Road: Flying J, Sand Road or Extra Help.
• MCT will operate a temporary No. 4 Connector to run between SWIC and the Liberty and Chain of Rocks Transfer Point to pick up passengers in Mitchell.
• The No. 4 Connector will connect to the No. 5 at Engineer Road on Illinois 111.
No. 5 Tri-City Regional:
• The No. 5 will not serve the Liberty and Chain of Rocks Transfer Point and the No. 5 will take an alternate route through Gateway Commerce Center.
• An early morning Southbound No. 5 will be added starting at Dial at 3:21 a.m., Unilever at 3:27 a.m. and Hershey at 3:32 a.m.
No. 6 Roxana – South Roxana Shuttle:
• The No. 6 will travel on Bel Air Drive instead of Illinois 111.
• The No. 6 will continue to serve the Liberty and Chain of Rocks Transfer Point.
During construction, temporary schedules will be posted online at www.mct.org and are available at MCT Stations and on MCT buses. Affected schedules will be published on bright neon colored paper.
For more information, call (618) 797-INFO (4636) or email email@example.com.