FGM Architects, which has offices in O’Fallon, Chicago and Oak Brook, says the Chemistry Laboratory Addition at Mother McAuley Liberal Arts High School in Chicago has received LEED certification at the Silver level by the U.S. Green Building Council and confirmed by the Green Building Certification Institute.
FGM Architects and its consultants worked with Mother McAuley High School to achieve certification by implementing sustainable design features to optimize energy performance, reduce water-usage and incorporate regional materials and recycled content into the project. These sustainable features assist in reducing costs for the high school as well as provide multiple energy and water efficient options.
The 4,500-square-foot, two-story addition is located between two existing classroom wings. The new building includes chemistry labs with prep rooms, storage, a new science team office and a new elevator. Additionally, a courtyard located just outside the new addition can also be utilized as an outdoor classroom. Prior to the construction of the addition, FGM Architects was retained by the administration at Mother McAuley to complete a facility analysis and master plan of the entire high school facility. Upon completion of the master plan, FGM recommended the construction of a chemistry lab addition between the two existing buildings of the school.
Sustainable goals that were a priority for the project included energy efficiency, the use of local and recycled materials and its incorporation in an existing community with established services. Natural daylight streams into the classrooms and occupancy sensors significantly reduce the total energy needed to illuminate the addition. Since Mother McAuley High School has an existing recycling program, FGM designed the building to be constructed with recycled materials as well as materials that were extracted or harvested within 500 miles of the high school, as well as 100 percent of construction waste was diverted from landfills.
FGM Architects has specialized in the planning and design of environments for work, study and play since 1945.